Sunday, September 5, 2010

DMZ

On Saturday, I went to the DMZ with my friend Mary.

We had a great time and got to see a lot of history and feel the tensions of the present. While we were gazing over into North Korea and looking at the flagpole, I noticed a large movement of vehicles moving from under a bridge towards the South. I alerted the soldier nearby and asked what the large movement was. He then called on to his commander and they scouted it out. He was quickly told that it was just the South Korean industrial workers returning from the 3 week stay in the North Korean industrial zone. He says the workers stay there for 3 weeks at a time and have to leave and come back together. There was over 100 cars coming back, all in a single filed line that stretched a mile. The soldier said it was a rare occurrence for any civilian to witness this. I guess we just had great timing!

We also walked the 3rd tunnel that the N. Koreans had built to invade Seoul. The tunnel was very tiny and wet. I had to bend nearly in half just to fit.

Overall, I had a great trip and enjoyed the company. Im looking forward to going back, this time through the USO tour.

Pictures will come late when my computer decides to read the disc!

1 comment:

  1. HI I am trying to gather Korea Expats to let our group of local Korean make friends with them. I found u via net and know u are one of them with an very interesting content site about ur life in Korea. Pls take a time to have a look our sns site which may help u to make more Korean friends. Keep in Touch. http://www.friendbeeper.com

    ReplyDelete