Friday, April 2, 2010

Go FC Seoul!!

So its been a couple weeks since Ive updated my blog... sorry! Ive had quite a bit going on and am only a week from getting truly settled in (Payday!!!). I have done quite a bit and experienced a lot from the last time you heard from me.

Im finally through with my dental care. After getting 4 root canals, and having them check my tooth 14 times (each was a separate trip). The people working there were very nice and the dentist tried hard to speak English. I even got to practice my Korean on him and his Dental Assistants and they appreciated my efforts. I did get nervous one time though, as I asked him how he was... he responded with "Im tired". I should never have asked him why. He said he was up until 10am drinking soju and came straight to work. I then asked if I could reschedule my appointment for tomorrow! On my last trip to the dentist, the Dental Assistants were being very odd. They were always giggly with me and asking about my weekends, asking if they can be my 'Korean friend", and just flirting it up. This last day, they actually had tears and said they were sad they wouldnt see me again. Each gave me a heart shaped sucker (It was White Day after all). I thanked them and asked if this was their way of ensuring that I come back to see them again. I mean, what dentist office gives out candy?!?



Last weekend we went to the FC Seoul soccer game at World Cup Stadium. This was an incredible experience watching a game where National teams once played. The stadium was huge and very nice. As soon as we walked in, we found our seats and started watching the Ultra Section. This is where all the hardcore fans sat. They stood the entire game, singing and chanting the whole time. The atmosphere was awesome and it only made me want to go to a game in Europe that much more! FC Seoul ended up winning the game 1-0!!! The Brazilian Adilson played a fantastic game and made the final pass before the goal.


As we were leaving the game, some Koreans started asking me questions and then begged us for pictures with them. As respectful, gracious,  and polite Americans, it was our duty to oblige them.

We finally got our cell phones as well! I now feel like an actual human being being able to contact people. Its a cheap service here as it only costs $13 a month for service. Im used to a $150 phone bill back home. We got a nice, free phone too... not a crap one like youd get back in the States. It has a subway map, Korean/English dictionary, and even TV!! All incoming calls and texts are free too, no matter where in the world they came from. So if anyone wants to buy a cheap phone card, its easy to get a hold of me.



We also went to Costco last week to get some American groceries. I was craving some cheese and got a 2 pound block of Mild Cheddar and a 2 pound block of Jalepeno Pepperjack! Its delicious and is the perfectfix for my craving! It only cost me 20,000 Won as well, which is about $17-18. Im going to make another trip out there next week after payday!!



Next weekend we are taking a mini vacation and going to a Kingdom Festival outside of Seoul. There we will get to wear some ancient armor, and watch sword making. We may even get to try our hand at forging it ourselves! We will stay in a Korean family's home that night, then hit the fields on Sunday for some strawberry picking. It only costs 93,000 for the whole trip (train ticket, food, place to stay, and admittance to various activities). Its a cheap trip and Im excited to get out of the city for a weekend. We are also planning a trip to Incheon to watch an Incheon United (not as good as FC Seoul!) soccer match during the day, and the watching the Wyverns baseball game in the evening. We are also trying to find time to go to a Doosan Bears or LG Twins game in Seoul soon too...  It only costs about 6,000 Won for a ticket and you can bring your own food or alcohol into the games too!




Yellow dust season is here! It makes it even harder to breathe and leaves a nice yellow dust on the cars. Nothing to threatening, but you notice that youre out of breathe much sooner than usual. 




I think after payday Im going to be buying a new camera. My point ant click is ok, but Im interested in taking nicer pictures. One of my colleagues dabbles in photography and has taken some awesome shots from our apartment complex.




Im still honoring my goal of learning 1 Korean word per day! Im actually learning a couple per day, but figure Id forget some so I make sure to double up. This week, Ive learned how to say "Slow, how much, its too expensive, hot/spicy, enough, Im hungry, I miss you, I love you, beautiful, cute, hurry, lets go, and good!"... Hopefully soon I can start forming sentences rather than just saying one word and hoping my Charades can get me through. The coffee lady downstairs teaches me a word daily, and I teach her one word of English. Ive had other help learning Korean too (Thanks Daun, Kerry, Kirsten, Celina, and Emily). Koreans seem to love the effort Im giving and appreciate that Im willing to learn the language and culture. Im also almost finished learning to read, but still have a few letters left. Im loving sounding out the letters though on buildings when we walk. Its a fun game for me.



Ill try to update this more often, and will be able to once payday comes! Heck, I will even have more stories as Ill have more money to do things with! On to the batting cages!!!

2 comments:

  1. You are breakin' hearts across oceans! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are having a great time!!

    ReplyDelete